This piece started with several layers: cardboard, parchment paper, burlap garland, muslin, and inked kraft paper.
Then I made a chrysalis from poly-fil wrapped in ivory embroidery thread.
I attached the chrysalis to a painted grape stem. Ya’ll know I have a thing for grape stems.
A double-layer of burlap garland was also added to the center for more texture.
Then I did something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now. I made a butterfly with onion skin wings.
I folded the butterfly in half…
White paper flowers were brushed with ‘Tea Dye’ distressing ink and glued onto branches here and there.
Scrabble tiles were the perfect color for the word ‘FLY’~ I rolled out some paper clay in a thin layer to create a contrasting background for the tiles. I like the way all of these different materials play off one another.
Thanks for stopping by and looking at this project!
You can also find it listed in my Etsy shop, where all proceeds go toward finding a cure for Cockayne Syndrome.
Hope you’re having a wonderful Sunday!