Altered Photo With Cross-Stitch (#3)

I brushed over the color copy of my photo with gel matte medium and let it dry overnight, face down, on an 8″ x 10″ framed canvas.  The image came out fairly clear so I didn’t need to do a second transfer like I did on my first one.

After I removed the paper, there was still a small un-printed area at the bottom right of the canvas and I’m not sure why.   It’s a learning process!

After doing a ‘half-face’ photo and a ‘whole face’ photo, I decided I like the look of the half-faces more.  They have a whimsical look that I like.

I took some watercolor pencils and added some color back into the red glasses and her lips…

 

And also her hair and eyes…

Added some fine detail with a .03 pen…

Then I started adding some stitching…

I was experimenting with using the stitching as texture and pattern instead of only accenting details in the photo.

Published in Somerset Studio, Fall 2012

Surprised and delighted to have a little something of mine published in the new Somerset Studio.

The challenge for this issue was to create art in honor of Edgar Allen Poe.

I submitted this mixed-media piece based on his poem “The Coliseum”…

This issue has some really beautiful collage papers included…

Many thanks to the folks at Somerset Studio for including my piece in this issue!

I finally got a FB page up yesterday!  I’ll be posting drawings and photos that don’t make it onto the blog so be sure and go give it a click and ‘like’ it!

***

I’m working on some sketches for this year’s Candy Corn Queen and wishing fall would hurry up and cool things off.

Hope you’re having a great week and thanks for visiting!

 

 

“All Things Aqua” Challenge for Somerset Studio

My eye is always drawn to the color aqua, especially when it’s set off by black and white.

These mini black canvases were perfect for my submission to Somerset Studio‘s “All Things Aqua” challenge.

I mixed some white acrylic with heavy gel medium and loosely painted two with circles and two with squares

Some aqua paint was added by rubbing some over the dried medium with my fingers, and stenciling over produce netting for texture.  My eye is also drawn to artwork with a large amount of negative space to I was trying to keep a large amount of negative space on these. That’s hard for me because I always tend to over-do it!

A small piece of book text was added onto each one…

Stamped butterflies, painted with aqua paint, were cut out and glued on.

Then something reflective was added to each one.

 

Finally I sprayed them with a matte finishing spray.

They look cool on these little black easels…

Mini canvases are so fun to work with.  If you want to submit some of your artwork using the color aqua, the deadline for the challenge is August 15th.  Thanks for taking the time to stop by and see my project.

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Miniature Stationery Sets

I loved small things when I was a little girl.

This tiny stationery set was one of my treasures when I was around 8 or 9 years old.

I adored the tiny papers and envelopes so much so that I was reluctant to use them and that’s why I still have it!

I showed it to my 9 year old daughter and I could tell she really liked it.

So I took mine apart, made a pattern, and then made a set for her.

I cut the letters out of notebook paper, leaving the red margin line on the side.

The braided thread is knotted at the back and wraps around the front button for closure.

I made a template for this miniature stationery set if you’d like to make some of your own.

It ‘s a really tiny set, measuring  3″ x 3.75″.  So cute!

I had so much fun making this that I made 4 more!

Here’s some pictures of the different designs with different closures:

 

This one has vintage lined notebook paper and vellum envelopes.

For this one I copied a rubber stamp at 50% .

I made the envelopes from book text and the “7 Gypsies” tape looks like tiny postage stamps.

 

Closure was made with grommets and a thin strip of leather.

And here’s a pretty, feminine one. The tiny flower stamps are from Stampin’ Up.

Envelopes made from typing paper and stamped.

The lined paper is from KC Company’s ‘Sweet Nectar” paper pack.

A little something for the back…

And here’s one more with a different look. The red and white paper clip is from the “Smash” journal line.

A lined rubber stamp was used to make the letter paper.

A strip of paper tape is tucked in and can be torn in small pieces to seal the envelopes.

Hope you like these little stationery sets. They’re super fun to make and fit…