Altered Photo With Cross-Stitch (#3)

I brushed over the color copy of my photo with gel matte medium and let it dry overnight, face down, on an 8″ x 10″ framed canvas.  The image came out fairly clear so I didn’t need to do a second transfer like I did on my first one.

After I removed the paper, there was still a small un-printed area at the bottom right of the canvas and I’m not sure why.   It’s a learning process!

After doing a ‘half-face’ photo and a ‘whole face’ photo, I decided I like the look of the half-faces more.  They have a whimsical look that I like.

I took some watercolor pencils and added some color back into the red glasses and her lips…

 

And also her hair and eyes…

Added some fine detail with a .03 pen…

Then I started adding some stitching…

I was experimenting with using the stitching as texture and pattern instead of only accenting details in the photo.

Portrait Transfer with Cross-Stitch (#2)

This photo transfer was made using the same technique as the first one.  This time,  I left the color print to dry overnight.  After it was dry, I sprayed it with water and peeled it off to reveal the image underneath.  It peeled up at the bottom but I actually like the edges to look imperfect.

I used free cross-stitching to accent her braid, her sweater, and her necklace.

Again, colored pencils were used to highlight the eyes and mouth and a fine point pen for some details. I also sponged ‘Red Brick’ Distress Ink onto her cheeks.

Searching thr0ugh my stash of text w0rds, I found this phrase…

I’m finishing up a third transfer this week so I’ll post some photos of it soon.  Hope you’re having a great start to your New Year and I always appreciate the visits and comments!

Portrait Transfer with Cross-Stitch

This picture was taken when I had pink hair extensions put in last fall.  I wanted to do something fun with this photo so I printed out a color copy and covered it with gel medium.

Then I placed it print side down onto the canvas.

I didn’t let it dry long enough and the image was blurry.  If you give this a try, let it dry overnight.  I did a second transfer with a red-tinted print to see what would happen…

It wound up looking like an impressionist painting. Hey, I’ve always wanted red hair!

I hand-dyed some white thread with Wilton icing colors to match the c0lors of the transfer…

And now you know why my fingers look gross… I started adding some free cross-stitching…

Then added color back into facial features with pencils…

A few details with the .o3 black pen…

More cross-stitching…

I stamped the butterfly onto the canvas as a guide and then colored it in with more stitching detail…

I also used some ‘Vintage Photo’ distress ink around the edges and over the red hair to tone it down a little.

I think it turned out kinda cool.  I’ve got another one to show you up next.

Happy New Year and thanks for stopping by!